Your eligible children have the right to:
• Receive a free, appropriate public education.
• Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required
• Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
• Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school
they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last
enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.
* If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best
interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written
explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
• Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
• Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students,
according to your children’s needs.
If you believe your children may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and
supports may be available. There also may be supports available for your preschool-age children.