The ASDB Low Vision Program provides services to students already identified as visually impaired, birth through 21 years of age, who are enrolled in an early intervention or educational program throughout the state of Arizona.
Students already enrolled in programs have access to the following services through the Low Vision Program:
- Review of student records in preparation for clinical low vision evaluations.
- Clinical low vision evaluations provided by an optometrist specialized in low vision.
- Assistance in obtaining and training with low vision devices, both high tech and low tech for school use, which may include community activities and pre-vocational training.
- Assistance in fitting and obtaining appropriate glare control glasses.
- Assistance to teachers and families in identifying goals and objectives related to low vision services for school.
Other services provided by the Low Vision Program for ASDB staff, parents of students enrolled in ASDB programs, and professionals throughout the state of Arizona include:
- In-service education in low vision topic areas
- Consultative services to professionals
- Support and education to parents of students with low vision
- Assistance to teachers and parents in identifying goals for low vision services
- Assistance with coordination of low vision service
The ASDB Low Vision Program employs Low Vision Specialist, Rajiv K. Panikkar, and Low Vision Program Assistant, Andrea Cook. For more information about Low Vision Services at ASDB, contact the Low Vision Program, at (520) 770-3241.