Office of the Ombudsperson
Donna Williams, ASDB Ombudsperson
With her 20+ years of experience, Donna will ensure the role of Ombudsperson will be independent, impartial and confidential. She will be in a position to answer your questions, explain Agency policies and procedures, facilitate mediation and provide steps to resolution while providing relevant program data to the Superintendent and Board of Directors.
The Office of the Ombudsperson facilitates positive relationships among ASDB staff, students and the public by collaborating with ASDB staff and the community to ensure a fair process that equitably and reasonably resolves concerns received from staff, students, parents and community members.
The Office of the Ombudsperson facilitates positive relationships among ASDB staff, students and the public by collaborating with ASDB staff and the community to ensure a fair process that equitably and reasonably resolves concerns received from staff, students, parents and community members
What Is An Ombuds?
- Independent functions independently of formal channels and other services, and provides options and guidance.
- Impartial works to develop options to address or surface issues that support empowerment and fair process for those seeking assistance and for the organization.
- Confidential protects your identity and the confidential information you share, unless the ombuds determines there is imminent threat of serious harm.
- Informal engaging an ombuds does not trigger a formal investigation often typical of HR or legal processes. Speaking with an ombuds is always off the record.
The Role of the ASDB Ombudsperson
- Active listener
- Provide options for resolution
- Respond to questions
- Explain agency policies and procedures
- Facilitate and/or mediate communication between individuals or groups
- Provide steps to resolve problems
- Provide data on trends or patterns of problems and/or complaints to the Superintendent and Board of Directors
Continuum of Services
- Provide information about ASDB policies and processes
- Share additional resources
- Serve as a neutral sounding board
- Provide upward feedback
- Help users understand and navigate ASDB processes and procedures
- Suggest effective problem solving techniques and strategies
- Roleplay difficult conversations
- Discuss next steps
- Help parties explore differences and have constructive dialog
- Lead difficult conversations
- Promote understanding
- Help develop workable solutions
- Help parties clarify issues
- Shuttle diplomacy
- Help bridge communication gaps
- Restore, repair, and rebuild relationships
- Offer creative solutions
- Explore the facts in a manner that ensures both parties are understood
- Determine exactly what the problem(s) is between parties
- Help parties develop fair solutions
- Help parties memorialize any agreements